Thursday, October 18, 2012

Reminiscent


My breath is white and winter’s night is cold
The chill has locked my fingers in my sleeves
Though this freezing weather was foretold,
it seems to be a bit worse than perceived.

I scramble quickly down the frozen street
and fumble for my keys with aching hands
I get into my car and crank the heat
my body thaws and smiles- my heart expands.

It’s hard to move my feet in mid-July
My muscles tighten more each stride I take
Sweat’s pouring off my forehead, burns my eyes
Just half a mile ‘til I get a break.

I round the corner, sprint the final feet
and reach the gate, my vision slightly blurred
My sneakers first and then my body, meet
the water with a splash and I’m submerged.

These are the most reminiscent feelings
of when I’m in your arms, warm and healing.


-Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment